Apple announces iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max with 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch OLED HDR displays, A12 Bionic 7nm chip, Dual SIM support – Coming to India on 28th Sept.
The new iPhones are here and Apple has announced three new iPhones which include the iPhone XS, the iPhone XS Max, and the cheaper iPhone XR. The iPhone XS and XS Max are both similar iPhones that come with a 5.8-inch and a 6.5-inch Super Retina HDR display and both of them support Dolby Vision along with HDR10. Also, both of these high-end iPhones support 120Hz refresh rate for their displays instead of a normal 60Hz panel which means gaming and media consumption experience on both of these iPhones will be top notch.
Apple has also gone ahead and eliminated TouchID completely on all three iPhones and has retained the FaceID unlocking which will now be the standard security option for the iPhones. These new iPhones will also support Dual SIM with dual standby and for that, they will be using the eSIM standard and in India, this will be supported by Airtel as well as Reliance Jio. The Chinese version of the iPhones will be getting physical dual-SIM support.
These iPhones will be powered by the new Apple A12 Bionic chip which is based on a 7nm platform and it is the first time a manufacturer will be using these chips. Huawei will also be launched their Kirin 980 next month which is also based on the same platform. The Apple A12 is a hexa-core processor with two dedicated performance cores and as per Apple, this will boost the iPhone’s performance by 15% and the help the phone consume 40% less power in CPU usage.
The other four cores will be dedicated for efficiency and they will consume 50% lesser power as compared to the last generation A11 Bionic chip. With about 6.9 billion transistors in the new A12 Bionic, the processor can perform more than 5 trillion operations in a second which is up from 600 billion in the A11 Bionic.
Both iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max are similar iPhones and they have the same dual camera setup on the back with a 12 MP primary rear camera (f/1.8) and a secondary 12 MP telephoto camera (f/2.4). The camera setup is supported by OIS and it has Smart HDR thanks to the A12 Bionic’s AI features. The front camera has a 7 MP sensor with a f/2.2 aperture and the front also has an IR camera with an improved dot projector for a better and faster FaceID experience.
Apple iPhone XS and XS Max specifications
- iPhone XS: 5.8-inch OLED Super Retina HDR display with a resolution of 2436 x 1125 pixels; 458ppi; 120Hz refresh rate; 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio; 3D Touch
- iPhone XS Max: 6.5-inch OLED Super Retina HDR display with a resolution of 2436 x 1245 pixels; 458ppi; 120Hz refresh rate; 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio; 3D Touch
- Hexa-core A12 Bionic 64-bit 7nm processor
- Quad-core GPU
- M12 motion co-processor
- 64GB/256GB/512GB internal storage options
- iOS 12
- IP68 Water and dust resistant
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM / physical SIM in China)
- 12MP wide-angle (f/1.8) and telephoto (f/2.4) cameras; Dual Optical image stabilization; Optical zoom; Six‑element lens; Quad-LED
- True Tone flash; 4K video recording at 60 fps; Slo‑mo 1080p at 240 fps
- 7MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture; 1080p video recording; Retina Flash
- TrueDepth camera for FaceID facial recognition
- Stereo speakers, Four microphones
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac with MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC with reader mode, GPS with GLONASS
- Dimensions (XS) – 143.6×70.9×7.7 mm; Weight: 177g
- Dimensions (XS Max) – 157.5×77.4×7.7 mm; Weight: 208g
- Qi wireless charging; Fast charging
Apple iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max will be made available in 64GB, 256GB, and 512GB storage variants and you will be able to buy them in space grey, silver, and a new gold finish colors. The price of these iPhones will be starting at Rs. 99,900 and Rs. 109,900 and the phones will start selling on 21st September. The detailed pricing of all the variants is mentioned below.
Apple iPhone XS
- Apple iPhone XS 64GB – Rs. 99,900
- Apple iPhone XS 256GB – Rs. 1,14,900
- Apple iPhone XS 512GB – Rs. 1,34,900
Apple iPhone XS Max
- Apple iPhone XS Max 64GB – Rs. 1,09,900
- Apple iPhone XS Max 256GB – Rs. 1,24,900
- Apple iPhone XS Max 512GB – Rs. 1,44,900
Apple will be adding a bunch of different accessories to go with the new iPhones which include leather and silicone cases starting at Rs. 3500 while the leather folio cases for the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max will be sold for Rs. 9900.