Samsung Voluntarily Recalls Galaxy Note 7, Customers to Get a Free Replacement

Samsung’s is recalling all 2.5 million units of its latest flagship Note, the Galaxy Note7, in response to a battery cell issue which has led some batteries to explode while charging. Before we proceed, let’s hear what the South Korean consumer durable company has to say.


In an official statement, Samsung said:

“Samsung is committed to producing the highest quality products and we take every incident report from our valued customers very seriously. In response to recently reported cases of the new Galaxy Note7, we conducted a thorough investigation and found a battery cell issue.

 To date (as of September 1) there have been 35 cases that have been reported globally and we are currently conducting a thorough inspection with our suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market. However, because our customers’ safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note7.

 For customers who already have Galaxy Note7 devices, we will voluntarily replace their current device with a new one over the coming weeks.

 We acknowledge the inconvenience this may cause in the market but this is to ensure that Samsung continues to deliver the highest quality products to our customers. We are working closely with our partners to ensure the replacement experience is as convenient and efficient as possible.”

This is the first time a Tech Company has Voluntarily recalled their smartphones so that users are not affected. All 2.5 Million Samsung Galaxy Note 7 owners will be getting a brand new Note in exchange for their old device. The company is even offering a temporary Galaxy S7 as a replacement Unit in some Countries till the device is swapped.

Samsung has sourced batteries for the Note 7 from two manufacturers. Its own subsidiary, Samsung SDI supplied 70 percent of the batteries while the remaining 30 percent came from renowned Chinese manufacturer ATL.


The defective ones are from Samsung SDI, and reportedly, all the upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note7 units will have ATL manufactured batteries. This is

Analyst claims that the whole fiasco could cost Samsung a whopping US$ 1 Billion. That’s no small number no matter what way you look at it, but Samsung is optimistic that the expenditure will be worth it and it will be able to gain back sales momentum once the issue is resolved.

We believe this a great step by the company to ensure the safety of its customers. Not only they have addressed the issue in a timely manner but have set a new benchmark for other Tech companies.

Author: Pooja

Pooja is passionate about blogging and Tech which makes life easier and interesting. While she is not exploring tech trends, you can find her devouring epic fantasy adventure literature and movies from across the globe.

Share This Post On

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *