Reliance Jio has been grabbing headlines for several weeks now, and today at Reliance AGM, Mukesh Ambani finally filled in the blanks and detailed the plans that Reliance Jio will be offering post its free preview offer.
Before we proceed here are the highlights:
- Voice calls across all networks will be free. Even when you are roaming!
- Reliance Jio will charge only for data and the effective price for the same boils down to maximum Rs. 50 per GB or 5 Paise per MB (That’s just effective price though, actual plans are detailed later).
- Users can access unlimited night time data on all plans. The night time is defined as between 2:00 AM and 5:00 AM
- Reliance Jio services will become available starting Monday, i.e. 5th September
- As part of Reliance Welcome offer, all services will be free till 31st December, 2015
- All Reliance Jio suit of apps will remain free till December 2017
- Students will get additional 25 percent data if they submit a valid identity card with the subscription form.
These services are truly gaming changing, and will certainly revolutionize Indian Telecom sector.
Now let’s talk about the true Reliance Jio plans that you will get to choose from.
As you can see in the image above, Jio plans are categorized same way as apparels. You get to choose plans ranging between S and XXXL.
These plans don’t seem to match the Rs. 50 per GB promise at first glance. However, to calculate the effective price you have to also take into account the WiFi Hotspot data which you will soon be able to access from Reliance Jio hotspots across the country.
The base plan gives you 300MB of data at 149 (besides free unlimited calls and free unlimited night time data). The XXXL plan offers 75GB of 4G Data and 150GB of Jio Hotspot data for 28 days. This amounts to a total of 225 GB for 4,999 INR or Rs. 23 per GB.
Besides these monthly plans, some special data top ups valid for smaller time duration are also available for prepaid users. For instance, you can buy 100MB of data for Rs. 19, which shall be valid for 1 day. Or you can buy 750MB for 129 INR, valid for 7 days. Unlimited night time usage is applicable to these basic top-ups as well.
Reliance Jio is truely 4G VoLTE network. There is no 2G or 3G involved here. The company is now eyeing to reach 100 Million consumer mark in record time. We say the goal is totaly achieveable.